Boyertown is theoretically the oldest historic town in Pennsylvania’s Americana Region, since the land the town was built on was part of a transaction given by the English crown to Thomas Baylor in 1601. King Charles later gave the same land to William Penn, who began his Holy Experiment in America in 1683. The first iron forge in the region was built here in 1716 and by 1723, the Great Road through the area connected the Colebrookdale mines. Henry Boyer for whom the town is named arrived much later. By the 1850s, Boyertown had its own water system, newspapers and railroad. Boyertown is now one of the best preserved historic towns in the area. Shops, churches, and pristinely preserved residences line Main Street, and cover block after block surrounding the center of town.