I think summertime and live music go together like peanut butter and jelly. The long, hot days of summer just call for the sounds of guitars, drums, and harmonizing voices. And in Pennsylvania’s Americana Region, there are plenty of live, free concerts to attend and get your jam on this summer!
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Going on now – The 3rd Annual Berks Country Fest: An Americana Music Concert Series from June 2 – 18. This event takes place in multiple locations for 12 events over the course of two and a half weeks. Musical genres featured include country, roots, rock, folk, bluegrass, R&B, blues and more.
- 35th Annual Berks County Early Bird Fiddle Festival on June 10 – This free event is now part of the part of the 2017 Berks Country Fest: An Americana Music Jamboree. The popular festival highlights bluegrass, Celtic, and folk music on stage and in the field at the Berks County Heritage Center.
- The Berks County Parks & Recreation Department Arts in the Park series includes several concerts as well as dramatic performances. It starts this weekend on Sunday, June 4 with the Ringold Band at the Berks County Heritage Center, followed by the Reading Pops Orchestra at Hamburg Borough Community Park on Sunday, June 11. Other performances take place at the Gring’s Mill Amphitheater but a few take place in different locations, so be sure to check their website before you head out.
- The Downtown Alive summer concert series will bring five nationally touring acts to perform for free in center city Reading starting June 21. Each concert starts at 5 pm on weeknights and features a festival atmosphere and includes food trucks and beer for sale. Check our website for upcoming concerts.
- The popular Bandshell Concerts in the Park series by the Berks Arts Council returns for free live music Fridays in July. Enjoy fantastic free concerts in a beautiful park setting with friends and family. Just be sure to bring along your blankets, chairs, and dancing shoes!
- The Grille at Bear Creek Mountain Resort’s Music Under the Stars series is already underway, with performances on the deck every Thursday evening now through early August from 6-9 pm. Reservations are recommended.
What is your favorite local band to sing along and dance to in Berks County?